With spring days soon melting to hot summer days it’s time to get your ice cream makers out if you aren’t using them! Ice cream is one of my favorite treats, that and hot cocoa.
Since I was little I have LOVED mint chocolate chip ice cream. There is chocolate and mint, what’s not to like? It was one of the first ice creams I decided to make when I bought my machine. It’s such an obsession that I made a quick and easy version and a milk shake.
With all those variations it leaves one to ask, “Is another mint chocolate ice cream post really necessary?” Yes, it is because this version is extra special. It is triple mint which means it has even more goodness. Picture your favorite mint chocolate chip ice cream, now combine that with cookies and cream and your favorite mint chocolate bar. See, I told you it would get better.
This ice cream has the perfect balance of cool sweetness that leaves you feeling refreshed and satisfied. I think that is what originally drew me to the dessert, the mint cuts back on the sweetness that I normally find overwhelming in ice creams from the store.
For those of you that are curious, here are the specific items I used to make my ice cream
Triple-Mint Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- 2 cups raw cream
- 1 cup raw milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or evaporated cane juice)
- 10 organic peppermint sandwich cookies
- 2 organic candy canes
- 1 3oz dark mint chocolate bar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder (optional)
- Blend the cream, milk, sugar, arrowroot powder (if using) vanilla and peppermint extracts on high until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a frozen ice cream canister and freeze according to the manufacture’s instructions.
- While that is mixing roughly chop the cookies, candy canes and chocolate bar.
- When the ice cream is almost done (around 15 minutes) slowly pour in the chopped candy and cookie pieces. Churn for an additional 5 minutes.
- Transfer the ice cream to a glass freezer proof dish and freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.