(This recipe was originally posted on March 21, 2011. It has been updated to share with you today.)
Have you ever eaten a dark chocolate filled with oozing with raspberry filling? They are.so.good! Dark chocolate and raspberries are one of the greatest sweet pairings. My friend Debra of Worth Cooking‘s honey raspberry candies make me think of those tasty chocolates.
A few years ago a delicious box of tea made its way into my hands, raspberry earl grey. Earl grey was already at the top of my list so this I couldn’t wait to try it. As I sat there taking my first sips of the new in the chaos of 16 girls playing in a small house in the middle of winter it occurred to me that it would taste AMAZING in my coconut milk hot cocoa.
Let me tell you it.is.absolutly.devine! It is all I dreamed of and more!
This cocoa is dairy free, refined sugar-free, low sugar and can easily be made vegan if you swap the raw honey for maple syrup. Each serving has about 1 1/2 tsp of sugar, making it a decidedly rich and decadent treat but not overly sweet, just right. Perfect for a cool, rainy day like today!
Since this hot cocoa is made from coconut milk the oils tend to separate and float to the top. Don’t be alarmed, simply stir them back in and continue drinking.
If are still craving dark chocolate and raspberries but don’t feel like making hot cocoa, this raspberry nib chocolate from TAZA is about as good as it gets! I found a bar at Marshal’s that I slowly savored but you can buy it on Amazon as well because what isn’t on there? 😉
- 3½ cups water
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 bag raspberry earl grey tea
- 2 TBS honey or palm sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a medium-sized sauce pot bring the water to a boil and then turn off. Add tea bags and allow to steep for at least 5 minutes. Remove tea bags.
- Add coconut milk and return to low heat.Until hot, remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl or cup whisk together the cocoa powder, honey and vanilla extract to make a paste.
- Pour the paste into the hot liquid, stirring until smooth.
This post is part of Hearth and Soul , Tempt my Tummy Tuesday This Weeks Cravings, Pennywise Platter Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Fat Tuesday,