So if you missed it last week on facebook, I joined the 30s club last Wednesday. It was a pretty calm, uneventful but good day. Very different from years past when I was given birthday kisses and “spankings” from my girls. I also didn’t have my face planted in cake this year… Yup, they do that in Mexico, nothing like a face full of frosting.
It was also the first birthday I have celebrated in the States since I was 19. To say my mom was excited would be to downplay it. I visited once on her birthday years ago but I haven’t spent my day with her since I moved to Mexico. Now that I am State side, she was happy to have her girl home for a change.
In “honor” of my day I thought it would be fun to share 30 random things about me. I’ve seen lists like this over the years on other blog posts but decided to put it off until the big 3-O. Life got busy with birthdays and work last week leaving little time to finish the list. So without further ado, let me present “30 Random Things About Katie Mae”.
30 Random Things About Katie Mae
1. I was born in Missouri.
2. We moved to CA soon after.
3. Then I moved to Mexico.
4. I talked about my family in Missouri so much that some of my friends in Mexico believed that’s where my parent’s still lived.
5. I am a sentimental pack-rat in recovery. I have a heart for simplicity and keep trying to down size. It’s a slow process.
6. I have more “daughters” than I am old, I miss them like crazy!
7. I also am a “grandma” 😉
8. The only bone I may have broken was a toe, I never went to the doctor to have it checked.
9. I LOVE hiking but now live a long ways away from good hiking places.
10. I still crave junk food like Chick-fil-A and Cup Noodles.
11. I am on a mission to recreate my favourite junk foods.
12. I am a tea snob turned coffee fan.
13. …but I still love my tea.
14. I have two siblings, I’m in the middle.
15. I have a goal of becoming quadrilingual, I’m part way there, I need to become much more proficent in ASL and Spanish.
16. I don’t like driving very far, say more than 25 minutes away.
17. I wanted to be a writer since I was about 7, those first stories are mighty interesting.
18. I was published in the local paper by age 12.
19. I’ve been experimenting in the kitchen since I was 10. Let’s just say my mom’s pot still has burn marks from the noodle soup 2o years later…
20. My favourite season is spring.
21. I love to look at the stars and name the constellations, the city has too many lights… 🙁
22. I don’t like scary films.
23. I grew up hating milk but now get so excited about raw milk.
24. I currently live in the city but an a country girl at heart.
25. When I am tired or stressed I either talk to myself in Spanish or sign in Mexican Sign Language.
26. I miss raising chickens, my city won’t let me.
27. I haven’t had a white Christmas since I was 18, maybe this will be the year.
28. My dad works at a cemetery and my childhood best friend grew-up there, no joke.
29. Fermenting foods is amazing, fun, tasty, and SO good for you! It’s a healthy hobby of mine.
30. I am daily in awe of my Savior and that he cares for me.
There you have it, 30 random things about me as I enter into my 30th year of life. 🙂