Rich dark chocolate and espresso laced with salted caramel, topped with chocolate whipped cream. It is simply divine.
It’s no secret that I have a weakness for all things dark chocolate and coffee. The numerous versions of hot cocoa, mochas and faxuccinos can attest to that. Tempting you a bit? They’re all on my recipe page. 🙂
Last year I shared my salted caramel fauxccino at The Nourishing Gourmet so it was only fitting that I also share the cool weather version that I have been enjoying for over a year with you as well. Most things I share here are quite nourishing. This delightful coffee is not one of them. It’s made with real food ingredients but it’s definitely a dessert saved for a special treat.
Everyone one needs a special treat now and then right? Of course! This rich mocha top with chocolate whipped cream, dark caramel sauce and a sprinkle of coarse real salt is divine! The salt slowly melts into the caramel and whipped cream, infusing the drink, balancing with sweet with just a touch of salt.
- 1 cup raw milk
- ¼ cup strong coffee (or two shots of espresso)
- 1 TBS cocoa powder
- 1-2 TBS maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBS caramel sauce, warm
- chocolate Whipped Cream
- Pinch of coarse real salt
- Heat the raw milk over low heat. Don't allow the temperature to rise above 110 degrees F or you will kill all the good things in the milk.
- In a mug or small dish mix the cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract and sea salt until you make a thick paste.
- Add the cocoa paste, 1 TBS caramel and coffee/espresso to the milk. Whisk until smooth.
- Top with chocolate whipping cream, the remaining caramel sauce and a pinch of salt.