Simple Crock Pot Mexican Pinto Beans
- Two cups dried pinto beans
- Enough warm water to cover the beans
- 2 TBS acid medium (whey, apple cider vinegar or lemon juice)
- I combine all three ingredients and let them soak in my crock pot for 12 to 24 hours. (This makes them easier to digest and helps speed up the cooking time a bit.) Once the soaking is finished pour the water off and rinse the beans. Put the beans back in the crock pot and add:
- 6 cups of water
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 jalapeno, stem removed
- Cook in your crock pot on high for 4 to 8 hours until the beans are soft.
- Check occasionally as the water may evaporate causing the beans to burn. If necessary add more water. Remove any scum that may rise to the top.
- Add salt to taste. Be sure not to add salt until the beans are completely cooked other wise the cooking process will be stopped and you will be stuck with hard beans.
- This will make approximately eight cups of cooked beans.