It’s crunchy, salty and bursting with flavor. This snack mix AKA real food “Chex-mix” is the prefect snack for holiday parties and simple gifts this time of year.
Chex-mix equals love to me. It filled every Christmas memory until I was nine years old. My maternal grandma always had a batch of it waiting for me when we would walk through their door during our yearly Christmas visit. Sadly she passed away when I was 10. I carry the tradition on myself now, with my own real food twist. It is a simple way to honor her memory and share that love with others.
I was never a fan of the wheat chex so, I didn’t even bother making adding them; making this party-mix an easy gluten-free option if you use gluten free mini pretzels. You can buy organic “Chex like cereal” but that’s not in my budget right now. In view of the holidays I decided that regular old Chex were fine for a special treat.
This makes a wonderful gift when you place it in mason jars and thigh a ribbon around the rim!
Real Food Homemade Snack Mix
- 18 cups of chex cereal ( I used corn and rice)
- 4 cups gluten-free pretzels
- 2 cups soaked and crispy peanuts
- 3/4 cup butter
- 4 TBS worchestire sauce (or 2 TBS apple cider vinegar and 2 TBS tamari or soy sauce)
- 3 tsp seasoning salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 250 F.
- Mix the cereal, pretzels and peanuts together in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter over low heat.
- While the butter is melting mix together the seasoning salt, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Pour the melted butter into the spice mixture. Add the worchestire sauce and stir together until there is no clumps.
- Pour the sauce mixture over your cereal and stir gently with your hands or a spoon until all the pieces are covered.
- Spread the wet party mix over your baking sheets.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheets.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a month.