Instant hot cocoa mix is a life saver. What can I say? I love my traditional hot cocoa recipe and all the variations but sometimes you just need a nice mix on hand.
A real foodie using an instant mix? Yup. 🙂 I don’t like using powdered milk because of the negative health benefits but when you use powdered coconut milk that’s a whole other story to save for a post next year. I used to LOVE instant hot cocoa, it was our Friday day night treat in the winter growing up. It came on every camping trip and was a staple on youth group missions trips where I would add two bags to every small styrofoam cups.
Now I can’t stand the stuff. It tastes so weak and fake.
Let’s say I’ve progressed a
bit LOT! I came up with a dairy-free mix last year but you have to add it to milk. (It’s still AMAZING to have on hand I might add…) what I really wanted was a mix that could be added to hot water and you were good to go.
This mix is easy to whip up for a simple gift. Pour the mix in a glass jar, tie a ribbon around it and you have an awesome gift! If you want you can add a fun spoon and a note on how to use it. Personally, I think how strong you like your cocoa is different for each individual so I just hand them a jar and tell them to mix in as much as they want until it tastes right. 😉 I think 2 1/2 teaspoons is perfect but that’s just me…
Note: I use Wilderness Family’s powdered coconut milk. There is a very slight amount of casein in the mix. I have heard of other people finding 100% dairy-free powdered coconut milk on Amazon which is why I labeled the post as such.
Other Hot Cocoa Drinks:
- Double Chocolate Dairy-free Hot Cocoa Mix
- Coconut Milk Mexican Hot Cocoa
- Creamy Coconut Milk Hot Cocoa
- Raspberry Hot Cocoa
- Peppermint Hot Cocoa
- Homemade Coconut Milk Hot Cocoa
- Nourishing Classic Hot Cocoa
- Frothy Real Food Hot Cocoa
- Mexican Hot Cocoa
Dairy Free Instant Hot Cocoa Mix
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup powdered coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or other unrefined sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon unrefined salt
- Add the cocoa powder, powdered coconut milk and sugar to a jar, screwing the lid on tightly.
- Shake until mixed.
- Add 1 to 3 TBS of mix to a cup of hot water. Mix until smooth.