Sweet with a touch of spice this, creamy chai apple cider is the perfect treat to warm you on a cold afternoon.
Apple cider is a well-loved treat. It’s hard to resist a glass of freshly pressed cider on a crisp autumn day or a mug of hot apple cider when you are chilled to the bone in the mid-winter.
Years ago my friend Kimi introduced me (via her blog) to her Coconut Ginger Apple Cider. It was love at first taste! Then a few weeks ago another friend mentioned that Temple Coffee in Sacramento was offering Chai Apple Cider.
Of course, I had to head to the kitchen and create a recipe that combined both ideas. The results? A sweet and creamy treat with a kick of spice to balance it all out!
I have always liked apple cider but had a hard time with the sugar content. When you add steamed coconut milk, the fat balances out the sugar, plus it makes it oh so delightfully creamy. For an added benefit the cinnamon helps maintain your blood sugar as well.
Hot apple cider has been an after tree decorating tradition in my family for as long as I can remember. Even though it’s considered a fall time treat, you can sip a cup throughout the frigid winter months as well.
To make this creamy chai apple cider an extra special treat top with a chai spiced maple marshmallow!
Other Apple Inspired Recipes:
Find the ingredients:
Creamy Chai Apple Cider
Yield 2 servings
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 inch ginger root, chopped
- 1 stick Ceylon cinnamon
- 4 allspice berries
- 2 cardamon pods
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 whole clove
- Add everything, except for the coconut milk to a medium-sized saucepot. Bring to a slow simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the cococonut milk, gently stiring to mix.
- Strain the spices through a fine mess strainer to another pot or large glass measuring cup.
- If desired carefully blend to create foam or use a handheld frother. For fun you can top with a maple chai spiced marshmallow.