DIY Homemade Almond Milk
- 2 cups almonds
- 1 tsp real salt
- warm water
- 8 cups water*
- Optional Add Ins:
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 4 dates
- 4 TBS raw honey
- *You can use more water to for a milk more similar to skim milk, it is also more frugal.
- Soak the almonds with salt and warm water for at least twelve hours. Strain and rinse once the soaking is complete.
- Add the almonds (and dates if using) and water to a blender. You may have to do this in two batches if your blender is smaller. Blend on high for 2 minutes.
- Strain the contents of the blender through a fine sieve gently pushing on it with a spoon to remove all the liquid. You may need to remove some of the almond pulp so that the milk can strain out. Or pour through a cheesecloth or nut milk bag, allowing the almond milk to collect in the jar. Twist the cheesecloth or nut milk bag to be sure to get all the precious liquid out.
- If using add the vanilla extract and/or honey.
- Store the almond milk in glass jars. The almond milk should stay fresh in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Recipe by Nourishing Simplicity at https://nourishingsimplicity.org/2013/01/homemade-almond-milk.html