What is better than steaming cup of hot cocoa on a cool morning? I love to wrap my hands around the mug to warm my body and soul.
If you haven’t guess already I am a bit obsessed with hot cocoa. I have seven different varieties on this site. It all started with a simple cup of coconut milk hot cocoa and grew into a love for the tasty beverage. After making raspberry, peppermint, Mexican and a mix just to name a few I thought it was time I finally shared a recipe for a classic hot cocoa with a nourishing twist of course.
My milk of choice these days is raw cow milk but you can use whatever type of milk you prefer. Each will add its own unique flavor but will still be delicious!
- 4 cups milk (raw, goat, almond or coconut)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Whipped Cream (optional)
- Homemade Marshmallows
- Heat 3 3/4 cup of the milk in a small sauce pan. If you are using dairy carefull not to let the milk curdle. For raw milk it is best to not let it get any warmer than 110 F to preserve most of the benifical properties of the raw milk.
- In a small bowl or mug mix the remaining 1/4 cup milk, cocoa powder, honey and vanilla. Stir with a fork or a small wisk until a smooth paste is formed.
- Once the milik is heated pour the cocoa paste into the milk and wisk until smooth.
- Serve each cup of cocoa with a generous dalop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cocoa powder. You could also serve your cocoa with a homemade marshmallow or two.