Nourishing Homemade Chick-fil-A Strips and Nuggets
- 2 lbs chicken
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup pickle juice
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sprouted hard white wheat flour (or unbleached white flour)
- 2 TBS sucanat
- 4 tsp unrefined salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 4 cups of unrefined (flavorless) coconut oil, lard or palm shortening
- Cut the chicken into thin strips, about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide.
- Whisk the milk, pickle juice and eggs in a medium sized glass container.
- Place the chicken in the brine.
- Cover and place in the fridge for 1 to -5 hours.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a shallow flat dish about inch thick.
- Dip each chicken strip or nugget into the flour mixture. Be sure to completely cover the chicken.
- Heat the fat in a medium size cast iron skillet (or another heavy pan) on medium.
- Place up to 8 strips (20 nuggets) in the oil at a time. Cook the strips for about 3 minutes on each side. For the nuggets cook for 1 or 2 minutes on each side.
- You want the chicken to be golden brown.
- Remove the heat and place on a plate/tray that is lined with an old flour sack towel or paper towels.
- Repeat the process until all the chicken is fried.
Recipe by Nourishing Simplicity at http://nourishingsimplicity.org/2014/10/nourishing-homemade-chick-fil-strips-nuggets.html