It’s no secret that I LOVE my kombucha. It was the first thing I started making after I moved back to the States a couple of weeks ago. If you didn’t know already kombucha is amazing for you. As soon as you finish reading this you need to go to the store and buy a bottle or if you are blessed to have friends that might be a bit further in the natural living journey than you go to their house and
ask BEG them to try it, they may even gift you a scoby to start making your own.* You are going to love it.
If you aren’t so sure about kombucha or want to learn to make it, you will find this post helpful. I have been a kombucha fan years now. When I was living in Mexico I would head up to San Diego, which was about 2 hours (without a border wait) away to get mail, groceries or to visit a friend every few months. Each time I went instead of getting a fancy coffee drink or what-not I would get a bottle of kombucha. One day I saw kombucha with chia, I was in love!
Here’s the thing, buying kombucha from the store (with or without chia) costs $3-4 for ONE 16oz bottle. I knew I could make so much less at home. It costs me less than $1.50 to make one gallon of kombucha, that’s 8 bottles of kombucha! I get my Chia seeds from Bulk Herb Store in a 1/2 pound bag. I figured that there are roughly 32 tablespoons in each 1/2 pound bag. I also get my organic black tea there.
- Chia Seeds 1/2 lb- $8.25/32 (TBS)= $0.26
Black Tea 1/2 lb- $9.50/48(tsp) =$0.20 x 4= $0.80
Zulka White Sugar 1lb- $1.29/2 (cups) = $0.65
- 1 gallon of kombucha = $0.80 + $0.65= $1.45
- $1.45/ 8= $0.18 per bottle
- So one bottle of unflavored kombucha costs $0.18
- Add a few berries or a TBS of juice to favlor it add maybe $0.05= $0.23
- Add 2 TBS of chai at $0.26 each= $0.52
- 1 bottle of flavored kombucha with chia= $0.75
Not bad right? Making your own kombucha with chia can save you up to $3.25 per bottle!!!
Benefits of Kombucha
- Boosts the immune system
- Detoxifies the liver
- Increases Energy
- Beneficial for the Digestive System
- TASTES AMAZING!!!
Benefits of Chia Seeds
- Heighten Endurance
- Promote Intestinal Regularity
- Increase energy and strength
- Level Blood Sugar
- Can act as an anti-inflammatory agent
- They contain 6 time more iron than spinach
Combine those two together and you have a drink that is amazing for you! The health and taste benefits are undeniable. It’s delicious, good for you and inexpensive to make, so what are you waiting for, it’s time to learn how to make kombucha with chia!
- Mix the chia seeds and warm water in a small bowl and allow to gel. This will take about 10 minutes (you can leave them overnight).
- Add the gel to 16 oz of flavored kombucha.
- Drink and enjoy!
*To get started making kombucha you can buy your starter (scoby) online or ask a friend to give you a scoby. They are sure to have some extras floating around in their scoby hotel (or nursery as I like to call it). I have a couple that are traveling with me to Missouri later this summer to gift to two of my cousins. Yes, it was such a geeky moment when I realized that we had a bond over our love for the fermented drink.
Have you used chia before? If so what’s your favorite way to eat it?