Delicate herbs combine to make a delicious and light soup. This is the soup to enjoy when you feel under the weather. It is a power house of nourishing foods that your body so desperately needs for healing when sick. You can enjoy this tasty soup any time of course.
Let’s briefly look at these amazing healing ingredients.
I made a simple broth by simmering chicken backs for 12 hours. When cooked on low for hours in a crock pot or on the stove the results yield flavorful broth full of gelatin, sulphates. glucosamine, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, silicon, phosphorus and trace minerals that are easily absorbed into the body. These properties aid in soothing colds, sore throats and stuffy noses, treating arthritis and joint pain, cancer, tuberculosis, muscle disease, peptic ulcers and infectious diseases.
Lemon Grass is a mild sedative, which promotes sleep. The essential oil of lemon grass is used to soothe fevers.
Garlic is a first rate anti-biotic. It is one of the first things I reach for when I have a cold coming on.
Ginger is a natural expectrant, losing the phlegm making it easier to breathe. It also maintains normal blood circulation, helping prevent chilis and fevers.
Spearmint is good for headaches and sore throats.
The capsaicin is not chili peppers helps to relieve headaches by opening up the blood vessels that constrict causing headaches. It also it very good for clearing up sinus congestion.
Cilantro, Green Onions, and Thai Basil
These three herbs all have wonderful health benefits as well while not pertaining specificity to colds their main purpose in this soup os flavor.
The lauric acid found in coconut milk has germ fightin anti-bactrial and anti-fungal properties. Vitamins C and E found in the milk help build the immune system. It’s good for so many other things but that is a post on it’s own.
When you are sick it is easy to become dehydrated. Unrefined salt such as Real Salt add much needed electrolytes back into your body. I use Real Salt in my electrolyte drink.
- 4 quarts chicken bone broth
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 inch ginger root
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1 stalk lemon grass
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 pack rice noodles
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 cup thai basil, roughly chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Add the chicken stock, dried red chilies, ginger, and lemon grass to a large stock pot. Simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chilies, ginger and lemon grass. (You can compost them or throw them away.)
- Add the coconut milk and crushed garlic. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place the rice noodles in the pot, turn off heat and cover. Wait about five mintues or until the noodles have softened.
- Serve and garnish with the cilantro, green onions and thai basil.