Homemade Almond Milk

Homemade Almond Milk-www.nourishingsimplicity.org

Almond milk. It’s smooth, creamy, lightly sweet and delicious. What’s not to like?

Sticking with our DIY Theme this month here is another item you might buy at the store but could easily make yourself.  Making your own almond milk is much easier than you would think. Once you make your own you won’t want to go back to the store variety.

The process is almost the same as making your own coconut milk. I enjoy using both my homemade coconut and almond milks. While coconut milk is great for curries it’s not something I want to use in a substitute for dairy milk or cream in most soups, where as the subtitle flavor almond milk makes it perfect for just that. One of my girls’ favorite ways to enjoy almond milk is in a cup of tea.

However you use it, this recipe is sure to please. Right now I’m sipping a cup of hot cocoa made from almond milk I made this morning.

Note: I prefer to use raw organic almonds. I prefer to buy mine from the awesome co-op Azure Standard, which may have a drop-point in your area.

Useful Tools:

5.0 from 2 reviews
DIY Homemade Almond Milk
  • 2 cups almonds
  • 1 tsp real salt
  • warm water
  • 8 cups water*
  • Optional Add Ins:
  • 1 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 4 dates
  • 4 TBS raw honey
  • *You can use more water to for a milk more similar to skim milk, it is also more frugal.
  1. Soak the almonds with salt and warm water for at least twelve hours. Strain and rinse once the soaking is complete.
  2. Add the almonds and water to a blender. You may have to do this in two batches if your blender is smaller. Blend on high for 2 minutes.
  3. Strain the contents of the blender through a fine sieve gently pushing on it with a spoon to remove all the liquid. You may need to remove some of the almond pulp so that the milk can strain out. Or pour through a cheesecloth or nut milk bag, allowing the almond milk to collect in the jar. Twist the cheesecloth or nut milk bag to be sure to get all the precious liquid out.
  4. This should keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.

Don’t throw out the almond pulp away, learn how to dry your almond and coconut pulp and how to use them!

This post is part of Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter Thursday,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
About Katie Mae Stanley

Katie Mae Stanley is the writer at Nourishing Simplicity, where the focus is on nourishing foods, herbal remedies, simple living and faith. Ethnic and Mid-west foods are always a favorite in her kitchen and on her blog. She is also the author of the book Steeped: Simple Nourishing Teas and Treats. Katie Mae spent 10 years as a missionary dorm "mama" for a gaggle (almost 40) of amazing deaf girls at a school for the deaf in Baja California, Mexico. Now she finds herself state side ready to embrace God's next adventure. A cup of tea or coffee and a bit of dark chocolate make an appearance at some point in any given day. You can connect with the Nourishing Simplicity community on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

1. Due to intestinal issues, I was comparing the almond milks on line. I can easily see where my digestive problems are coming from. I am going to try making my own milk and see how I fair with that. Thanks

2. I was wondering what the nutritional information of the homemade almond milk would be?

• Katie Mae Stanley says:

I’ve never looked it up but you could add the ingredients to a nutrition calculator online to find out!

3. What are the dates and honey for and when would you add them to the recipe? Thanks :)

4. Dancing Bear says:

Just curious…can this homemade almond milk be frozen. I would not be able to drink a quart in 3-4 days. I’d hate to see it go to waste.

• Katie Mae Stanley says:

I’ve never tried because I go through it so fast! I drink it plain, use it make hot cocoa, add it to my coffee, and even use it in soup from time to time. I’ve heard of people freezing it in an ice cube tray and then using those cubes in smoothies and other meals.

5. Hi! My son and I Love almond milk, but I am not a fan of how sweet and slimy or artificially smooth most commercial brands are, so I am attempting homemade almond milk for the first time..this might be a dumb question, but should the warm water stay warm for 12 hours (i.e., should I keep it on the stove on the warm setting?) Or does it just need to start out warm, and then OK if left on the counter?
    Also, have you ever tried roasting the almonds first? I’m going to try this plain first, and then if it goes well I will experiment with different variants…

• Katie Mae Stanley says:

No you just need to start with warm water. Yes, just leave it covered on the counter. I haven’t tried roasting them first. If you do roast I wouldn’t suggest soaking them since the roasting “cooks” the almonds. I prefer to just soak them. Let me know what you end up doing!

6. Thank you for this recipe! Have been looking to drastically reduce dairy intake, but I live off of smoothies during the warmer months. I recently decided to substitute lowfat milk for almond milk, but all of the brands in the store, many which were labeled “unsweetened,” contained some variation of cane sugar or sweetener. I look forward to trying this recipe without the honey and extract. Seems so wholesome! :-)

• Katie Mae Stanley says:

I’m so glad you found it Jeni! :) I really do prefer homemade almond milk over the variety in the store. It’s always bugged me when there are added sugar to thing that don’t need it, like almond milk or even chicken broth. When I don’t use almond milk I use raw cow milk or coconut milk.

7. Jennifer says:

I find so many smoothie recipes that call for almond milk. Too many times I read the almond milk content and wonder if there is a just-almond milk out there. I guess there is. I’ll make this for sure.

8. Not to be rude but…Can you please explain how this is cheaper than buying almond milk? A half gallon is about $3 while 16 oz. (2 cups) of almonds is about $6-7. It takes almost 10 cups to get one HALF gallon therefore costing almost $60-70 to make a half gallon of homemade almond milk…WHAT !?

• Katie Mae Stanley says:

Not rude at all Ashley. You make a good point. I should change the post since I took a break from making my own milk for about a year. Once I started up again I found mylsef making it MUCH weaker. Now I make about 3 quarts out of the two cups of almonds. It’s been a
      a while since I looked at my recipe. I’ll go in and add my changes. I also save the pulp, dry it, and bake with it so I don’t have a need to buy almond meal. That cuts costs in a different away even if the up front cost seems more.

On a side note, I’ve never been able to find almond milk in the store for less than $2.50/quart. I don’t like the additives that are in the store brands so it is important to me to make my own at home even if it does cost more. Sometimes I just go without.

9. 2 cups or about $6.99 worth of almonds for a quart of almond milk isn’t frugal not to mention its pretty tough on the environment. It takes about 1 gallon of water to grow one almond which means your quart of almond milk taxes the environment 184 gallons (+4 cups) of water to produce. I’m curious if anyone here would pay $28 for a gallon of almond milk which requires 736 gallons of water to produce. I’m also curious if anyone has experimented with recipes that make a tasty almond milk using much less almonds.

• Katie Mae Stanley says:

That’s expensive, I’ve never payed that much for my almonds. I’ll admit that I have never looked into how much water goes into growing almonds. It comes down to your perspective, you can eat almonds, make them into butter or milk. You can eat them or drink them but it is still going to use the same amount of water to grow them. I’d be interested to know how much water is used to grow a tomato or any other plant we eat. If you come up with a recipe that uses less almonds please share it with me.

When you think of how much it costs to buy almond milk in the store and the energy that is put into creating the packaging making your own can still be a frugal option when you compare the two.

10. Elmarie Nagle says:

Really interested to read a recipe for home-made almond milk. ‘Have changed my diet considerably, following horrendous side-effects of opiate-based meds for chronic neuropathic pain, caused by collapsed neck discs; now a matter of ‘controlling & managing’ the illness. I’m swinging from total lethargy to bouts of insomnia, and looking forward to trying to make my own Almond/Coconut milk. Always traditionally told to eat ‘dairy for calcium’ to avoid osteoparosis later in life, but have learned that almonds contain more calcium than ‘cows’ milk!!! Looking for other dairy alternatives and grateful for further tips- thank you so much. Elmarie, Ireland.

11. Jan Lincoln says:

Do you use blanched almonds or those with the skins still on?

12. Alyssa buchholz says:

How many cups of milk would 2 cups of almonds make? Thanks!

13. I was wondering if the salt is necessary. I’ve never added salt to the soaking water when making almond milk, so I was curious.

• Katie Mae says:

Great question! The salt helps neutralize the enzyme inhibitors in the almonds. That way it’s easier to digest and healthier for you too.

1. […] Homemade Almond Milk from Nourishing Simplicity […]

2. […] I’m going to experiment with making my own almond milk using THIS RECIPE.  I will keep you posted.  Side bar- yes, I am a stay-at-home mama.  Yes, I probably seem to […]